11.2.18
November 2, 2018
11.16.18
November 16, 2018
Show all

11.9.18

Print

Dear Parents:
While the usual fall flurry of activities is underway, I wanted to highlight two special visits. First, this week we were pleased to host the first of three finalists for head of school to begin in July. We hope that many of you were able to participate in the meetings. Second, we are looking forward to hosting the Middle States Re-Accreditation team next Tuesday through Friday. We look forward to having them interact with our students, faculty, parents, and trustees.
Enjoy the long weekend!
Kind regards,
Kari

Announcements

Save the Date:

1st-6th grade Parent Teacher Conference Day November 12th, 2018.

Around Campus

The Panther Post

The first issue of the second volume of The Panther Post student newspaper was released on Tuesday. At 36 total pages, it is the largest issue in this newspaper’s short history, and  it is amazing how far we’ve come since starting from literally nothing (and immediately following two back-to-back Category 5 hurricanes at that) this time last fall. Big shout-out to our dedicated Editor-in-Chief, Carolyn Grimm ‘20, and her small-but-dedicated team of staff writers. It was especially encouraging seeing the younger generation burying their heads in these pages on this particular Tuesday, Election Day, as several students submitted editorials detailing problems, and solutions, to the voting process and election system in this country. This is but another example of the power of an open forum of exchange, and everyone is encouraged to take a minute to peruse this timely student publication (and, if you feel inspired, to write a letter to the editor). A PDF of this new issue is included here.

FINAL DRAFT Volume 2 Issue 1

Drone Zone

7th grade, the students are learning about the basics of programming.  Helping to make the curriculum exciting this year the student have been learning programming using  Parrot Mambo Drones using an iPad and the Tynker app. Drones are used in many fields, from mining to archaeology to theater design.  An article in the October issue of the Smithsonian magazine explores how digital archaeologists are using drones and cutting – edge cameras to recreate the spectacular 2,000 year old ruins of Petra in Jordan.  What a great wedding of ancient history with technology!

Click Here to read the article

Please view the two videos below that show GHCDS middle school groups successfully completing challenges.

Challenge 1

Challenge 2

The Freshie Class of 2022

These students meet every Tuesday in the library for advisory time. The class officers, who lead the advisory, have established norms for the meetings and set an agenda for each meeting. The class discusses community service and class activities.

Photo Class of 2022 Officers: (left-to-right) Brice Richards VP, Shana Shepheard Pres, Uchenna Ferris Treasurer, Frances Falcon Vasquez

How tall is that tree?

Students use the clinometers in their phones and their trigonometry skills to find the height of the Norfolk Pine in the Upper School.

Clean Data

Physics students use new equipment to evaluate the motion of a fan cart as it moves away and then back towards a detector that is connected to a computer. The new equipment means incredibly clean data for students to analyze.

Distance Learning Center

Charlene Joseph, the Virgin Islands recruiter for Distance Learning, came to speak to seventh and eighth graders who might be interested in applying for the summer program in Seattle http://www.thedistancelearningcenter.org

The Distance Learning Center (DLC) is a non-profit corporation whose mission is to increase the number of underrepresented minorities (African-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians and Mainland Puerto Ricans) in science, technology, engineering, math and medicine (STEMM). DLC STEMMPREP PROJECT – Students gain exposure to STEMM by working in STEMM based labs during the summer starting as early as the seventh grade and based upon performance are invited back each subsequent year through college.

Nia Coates and Nayla Coureur spoke to interested seventh and eighth graders about their experience. Applicants must take the SSAT which is offered Dec. 8, Feb. 2, Mar. 3.  Students can register at ssat.org

NYU Abu Dhabi

During the week of Oct. 8-12, Ms. Thatcher was the guest of New York University, Abu Dhabi campus, in the United Arab Emirates.  The 4 day counselor fly-in, attended by 38 high school college counselors from around the United States, gave the counselors an opportunity to learn about the unique programs offered at NYUAD, meet with students and faculty, and tour the surrounding area. A young and dynamic country, the strategic location of NYUAD in the UAE allows for students to engage in international internships both in the UAE and abroad, and to easily travel to many countries. The program is highly competitive yet affords generous financial aid to those admitted. It was very interesting to learn about the school, and Ms. Thatcher would be happy to share her thoughts with any student interested in exploring NYUAD as a college option.

Parents’ Association

It’s about that time! Warm up your engines and tie up those sneakers! It’s almost FUN RUN TIME!  We have had so much fun with students this week learning about important character traits, handing out prizes, throwing class parties and watching the students get pledges to support the school.

We are finally in the home stretch!  We want to invite all parents, grandparents, extended family and friends to the Panther PowerUP! Fun Run on Tuesday on the Lower Field.  This is going to be a very fun event with tons smiles and photo opportunities.  Please plan to be there and cheer on our students!

8-9 AM Nursery and Pre-K

9-10 AM Kindergarten-4th Grade

10-11 AM 5th-8th Grade

We are in need of a few volunteers to help out with water stations and counting laps (it’s super easy). Please follow these links to sign up:

Nursery and Pre-K 

Kindergarten – 4th Grade 

5th-8th Grade 

We would like to say a special THANK YOU to Beeston Hill Health and Wellness and Business World for sponsoring all of the youth and adult t-shirts for the event.  We think they look great!