Hi Panther Families!
We’re going in Full Speed Panther Mode this week! All of our Basketball and Track and Field teams will be competing! That’s eight different teams representing us all over the island. Thank you, coaches, teachers and parents for all you do to support our athletes’ success!
Last week I promised news about the first Track and Field meet. Here’s what Coach Klein, Coach Harper and Coach Smokey had to share about our runners:
Last week our track season kicked off at the newly resurfaced track at Complex. Many of our runners have continued training since we ended a very successful cross country season, and they were eager to race. Our first three meets each feature only two events – allowing our runners to see what races will be run during the Championship meets on Feb 28th and March 1st.
Our JV and Varsity runners competed in the 200 and 800. Our 200s runners were led by Kelsey Bhola (Varsity Girls), Naurani Persaud (JV girls), and Sam Cole (Varsity Boys). In the 800 Dominic Pugliese (Varsity Boys) ran a personal best of 2:14.62. Our JV top finishers for the 800 were Brice Richards and Josie Calhoon. This week our runners will compete in the 100 and 400 meters.
Our Elementary runners got their opportunity to race the 200 and 800 on Friday night. For many of our elementary runners this was their first time racing on the track. Our top three finishers in the girls 200 were Kirra Lambert (34.58), Candace Felix (34.60) and Reese Freeman (38.33). Our top three finishers in the boys 200 were Nathan Langley (31.68), Nathan Graham (33.81), and Cole Sommer (34.75). Kirra and Candace chose to run both races and were able to finish 1st and 2nd overall in the 800 for girls. In the boys’ race, Mason Lambert (2:34), Kaeden Gleason (2:40), and Cole Sommer (3:02) were able to sweep the top three overall. This week our elementary runners will compete in the 100 and 400 meters.
I’ve been trying different formats to communicate the weekly game and practice schedules. This week I’m sharing practices and games under the team heading, rather than daily. Please let me know if you like this format. I’m trying to make it as easy as possible for athletes and parents to find the information they need.
Please remember that participation fees for Track and Field are $20, and Basketball fees are $25 Elementary, Middle School $35, JV and Varsity, $40. Thank you for taking care of those promptly if you haven’t already.
Practices and Games This Week:
Elementary Boys Basketball–
- Practice- Tuesday 3:05-4:00 slab
- Game- Friday vs. Juanita Gardine @ Home 3:45
Elementary Girls Basketball–
- Practice-Tuesday 3:05-4:00 slab
- Game-Thursday vs. Claude O Markoe @Home 3:45
Middle School Boys Basketball–
- Practice-Monday 3:15-4:30 slab
- Games-Tuesday vs. COG/FW @ Free Will, 2nd game 4:30 start-one way taxi leaves at 3:30
Thursday vs. COG/FW @ Free Will, 2nd game 4:30 start-one way taxi leaves at 3:30
JV Girls Basketball–
- Practice-Monday 3:15-4:30 slab
- Game-Wednesday vs. Complex @ Complex 4:00-one way taxi leaves at 3:15
JV Boys Basketball–
- Games-Monday vs. Complex @ Complex 4:00-one way taxi leaves at 3:15
Friday vs. Central @ Complex 4:00-one way taxi leaves at 3:15
- Practice-Short practice on Wednesday, 3:05-3:45 gym
Varsity Boys Basketball–
- Practice-Tuesday only this week, 4:00-5:30 slab
- Games-Monday vs. Free Will @ Complex 5:00-one way taxi leaves at 3:15 with JV Boys (JV-1st game, V-2nd game)
Friday vs. St. Joseph @ Complex 5:00-one way taxi leaves at 3:15 with JV Boys (JV-1st game, V-2nd game)
Track and Field-
- Practices- Monday and Wednesday 3:15-4:30
- Meets- JV and Varsity on Thursday @ Complex 4:00
Elementary on Friday @ Complex 4:00-one way taxi leaves at 3:15
Have a great weekend, and Go Panthers!